This was the only substantial bridge on the line. It had 7 spans and was 240 ft long. Cast iron piers supported a steel lattice structure. It was actually built in the 1880s, though the railway, of course, didn’t open until 1897. Soon after construction of the bridge, two of the piers sank and needed repairs. It always had a sagging appearance. Some passengers were nervous crossing the bridge due to the juddering. Within sight of the bridge was the Wick St. Lawrence Wharf. The bridge was the last railway structure to be removed in 1943.
Some of the bridge’s iron supporting columns still exist but are on private land. See detail map. However North Somerset Council are to build a footpath/cycleway on part of the route between Yeo Bank Lane and Wick Road including a replica of Wick St Lawrence halt. The path will use the nearby Tutshill Sluice to enable the River Yeo to be crossed. This project is fully funded and will be built in 2021.
River Yeo Bridge
Train hauled by loco ‘Weston’ crossing Yeo bridge in 1899