Copyright © 2004-2021
Due to continuous money problems, most of the locos used on the line were second-hand. Only two were bought new. Engines were originally in dark crimson, but later were mostly in light green. More details and photos.
Due to rising costs of the steam operations, in 1921 the railway bought a new 4 wheeled petrol engined single unit railcar from the Drewry Car Company Ltd. It seated 30 passengers. In 1934 a larger Drewry railcar was bought second-hand (built 1928) from the Southern Railway, also 4 wheeled and petrol engined. It had a separate luggage compartment also used to carry milk churns. More details and photos.
Carriages were mostly second-hand, and were a peculiar mixture. Livery was mostly either dark crimson or mid green, and various faded shades! The body of one carriage survives and has been restored for the London Transport Museum. More details and photos.
Another motley collection. At the time of closure there were about about 27 wagons, mostly ex- Midland Railway. More details and photo.
The railway had two rail-tractors at different times built by Muir-Hill of Manchester. The first bought in 1921 was based on a Fordson tractor with the wheels removed and replaced by flanged wheels. It only lasted a year being damaged beyond repair in a derailment. The second bought in 1926 was also based on a Fordson but was more elaborate with four 40” flanged wheels, and a wooden wagon-like structure with glass-panelled cab. It was scrapped on closure. More details and photos.
There was an ex-Great Eastern Railway covered box van and an ex-Midland Railway Brake Van. There were up to 4 inspection trolleys.
Milk from local farms in 17-gallon milk churns was picked up from stations along the line and taken to Ashcombe Road for collection by the local dairy company. The ex-Great Eastern Railway 4-wheeled passenger brake van No 14 was used for this until it was derailed in 1927 at Worle.