Copyright © 2004-2021
Halfway point between Clevedon and Weston, this was a remote station, the village of Wick St Lawrence being almost a mile from the station. Villagers were very dependant on the railway for transport. This station was amazingly manned until 1928. The building had a waiting room and ticket office when manned. Note the passing loop at which single line staffs were exchanged. However, once the extension to Portishead was open, the passing loop was no longer used except as a goods siding. In the distance in both photos the railway crossed over the River Yeo bridge, while a branch line ran to the Wharf on the River Yeo. See detail map.
This station is to be reconstructed as a feature on a new shared use path to be built by North Somerset Council on this stretch. A planning application for this was submitted in Nov 2018 and was approved in December 2018. Details …
Full and final funding became available in May 2020 and construction is to start in 2021. Details …
Colour photo is taken from the same location in April 2006. Click to enlarge.
December 1938 Looking towards Clevedon.
Photo reproduced with permission from The Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway by Peter Strange published by Twelveheads Press
Wick St. Lawrence halt
Distance from Weston: 3.8 miles