Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway Home

Copyright © 2004-2016

Paul Gregory  


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Share on Google Bookmarks


Built: 1897   Maker: Cravens       Bought: 1907    WC&PR numbered: 7-13  

Withdrawn by WC&P: 1940  Scrapped: ?




Photo courtesy of Weston-super-Mare Library

Carriage No 7 in London Transport Museum before restoration

After restoration.

Photo London Transport Museum


History:

Seven 4-wheeled carriages were bought from the Metropolitan Railway where they were known as the ‘Jubilee’ type. On the WC&P they were formed into close-coupled pairs. The seventh was a floater numbered 14, later 7. After closure, carriage No 7 was used on a farm at Shrivenham for some years. It is now owned by the London Transport Museum and is the only WC&P rolling stock survivor, and also the only remaining example of this carriage type. It has now been restored at Boston Lodge on the Festiniog Railway, albeit to its original configuration. In Metropolitan Railway service it was a first class carriage No 353. In Jan 2013 it featured in the London Underground 150 celebrations. In WC&PR service these carriages had connecting doors built into the ends for use by guards. Carriages were painted Midland Red but later dark brown.

See also Colonel Stephens Museum article.

Ex-Metropolitan carriages

no 7 craven.jpg