Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway Home

Copyright © 2004-2015

Paul Gregory  


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Share on Google Bookmarks

Worle Town Station Distance from Weston : 1.8 miles

One of the more important stations, having a booking office and waiting room! Worle was once larger than Weston, but by the time the railway was built it had been overtaken in size. The station was originally called simply Worle, but in 1913 it was renamed Worle (Moor Lane), and from 1917 onwards Worle Town. The station was on the south side of the line, just east (the Clevedon side) of Station Road. See Detail map. The ungated Station Road crossing (a source of several fatal accidents) was just behind the camera in the photo. Traffic lights were installed in 1937/8. In the distance can be seen the gated High Street crossing. A siding (behind the camera) served the Worle gas works until they closed in 1920. The gas works were replaced by Fussell’s rubber factory, and then by a retirement development. There was originally a 10” high platform but this was later removed.


The WC&P Railway Group installed an Interpretation Board at the site of the Station in conjunction with Worle History Society in October 2015.


Worle Town halt


1930 - looking towards Clevedon

Photo reproduced with permission from Branch Lines to Clevedon & Portishead by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith published by Middleton Press