Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway Home

Copyright © 2004-2017

Paul Gregory  


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Share on Google Bookmarks

Portishead station Distance from Weston : 13.8 miles         


Portishead was a terminus station (opened in 1907) and was situated roughly where the Co-Op car park is today. Portishead has changed so much, it is difficult to find the route of the line. The WC&PR line ran along the current dual carriageway route (Wyndham Way). A private siding led to the Mustad’s Nail Factory for incoming and outgoing goods. The factory, which survived until 1987, was alongside Wyndham Way where Homebase now stands. A good landmark is the White Lion pub (renamed Old Mill in 2017) with its archway giving access to the station (see below). The railway crossed the rhyne over two bridges, one of which survives (see Portishead bridges). Click photos to enlarge. On 29 October 2013, the WC&P Railway Group installed an interpretation board on Wyndham Way opposite the White Lion (old Mill) and close to the station site. See The Line Today -Northern Section.



Portishead station

Portishead Station - looking towards Clevedon

This is a hand-coloured photo post card sent on 8 July 1914, though it is believed to show the first day of the extension to Portishead on 7 August 1907. The track at bottom left was the link to the GWR, though not yet connected, coming into use on 2 Nov 1908. The White Lion pub (now Old Mill) was behind the camera to the right. Compare with photos below. Reproduced with permission from John Lyon.

Portishead station

Portishead terminus building - 1907

This is the original building which had a waiting room and booking office. It was later extended to provide a ladies’ waiting room. The building was finished in black creosote. In about 1920 a stone-faced platform was added. Photo taken by Eric Wright.

Photo with permission from the Ken Crowhurst collection.


Portishead station

Portishead Station - looking towards Clevedon

Portishead terminus station presumably a few years later (at least Nov 1908) than the above view. The level crossing gates are where the link line to the GWR branch crossed Gas House Lane (now Old Mill Lane). Note the additional sidings, and the connected link to the GWR. Photo with permission from the Ken Crowhurst collection.

Entrance to Portishead Station - 1915

The station building is on the right with the Mustad’s Horseshoe Nail factory (opened in 1911) in the background. The factory closed in 1987, and a Homebase store now stands on the site. The way out to the High Street is behind the camera.

Photo with permission from the Ken Crowhurst collection.

Portishead station

July 1936 - Looking towards Clevedon

In this picture, the line in the foreground connects with the GWR. The lane crossing the foreground leads to the right to High Street through the White Lion Inn archway (see below). The station building can be seen behind the water tower. The station now boasts a stone platform which can just be seen, and a replacement water tower. Photo reproduced with permission from The Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway by Peter Strange published by Twelveheads Press


White Lion pub archway


Way to the station through White Lion pub archway

The railway was reached from the High Street through this archway through the White Lion pub (now Old Mill). The archway can still be seen today - see The Line Today or Then & Now

Photo with permission from the Ken Crowhurst collection.

Portishead

Portishead aerial view around 1924

This picture shows an aerial view of Portishead, with the WC&PR station in the centre. The white building just to right of centre is the White Lion pub (now Old Mill). The High Street crosses the picture left to right. The wagons to the right of centre are on the link line to the GWR branch. A weighbridge on the link line was used to weigh wagons of stone from the WC&PR when they were transferred onto the GWR.

Photo reproduced with permission from Old Portishead by John Macleay published by Stenlake Publishing