Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway Home

Copyright © 2004-2017

Paul Gregory  


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Share on Google Bookmarks

Portishead 0-6-0T

Built: 1880 Maker: Robert Stephenson & Co    Makers’ No: 2383  Bought: 1898 Withdrawn by WC&P: 1900/1  Scrapped: 1941?

Portishead 0-6-0T

Photo reproduced with permission from The Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway by Peter Strange published by Twelveheads Press

History:

This, the first loco named Portishead, was originally used by the Freshwater, Yarmouth & Newport Railway on the Isle of Wight, where it had been called Freshwater. It was sold to the London & St Katherine Dock Co, then later sold to a contractor and named Longdown. It was purchased by the WC&PT in 1898. Wheel diameter was 3ft 6in. It was sold to the Renishaw Iron Works at Sheffield in 1900 or 1901, working there until about 1937.