Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway Home

Copyright © 2004-2017

Paul Gregory  


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Share on Google Bookmarks

Built: 1879  Maker: Dubs Makers’ No: 1222   Bought: 1901  Withdrawn by WC&P: 1940     Scrapped: 1940

No 1 Clevedon

Photo reproduced with permission from Old Portishead by John Macleay published by Stenlake Publishing

History:

This loco was built for the Jersey Railway and worked there as General Don before the line was converted to narrow gauge, then was used on the North Cornwall Railway. It worked on the WC&P from 1901 until the line’s closure, the longest serving loco, although it was out of use from 1926 to 1935/6. In 1906 it was refurbished at Avonside Engine Works, being fitted with vacuum brakes and a new cab as above. It had kept the name General Don until then, when the nameplate Clevedon was transferred from the 2-2-2WT Sharp Stewart Clevedon and it was given the number 1, though it was confusingly the third loco to be named Clevedon.


Originally painted crimson lake which aged to brown. In the early 20’s it was light apple green, and from 1936 mid green with black and white lining and chrome yellow lettering. No 1 Clevedon was the least powerful of the railway’s engines. Driving wheel diameter was 3ft 6in.



No 1 Clevedon 2-4-0T