Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway Home

Copyright © 2004-2015

Paul Gregory  


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Share on Google Bookmarks

Clevedon Station     Distance from Weston: 7.85 miles

Clevedon’s main station and headquarters was originally a terminus. Once the Portishead extension was opened it became the mid point on the line, though it only ever had one platform. The platform was originally 10” high with no shelter, but this was later replaced with a higher wooden platform and shelter as in photo below. All trains were made up and started and finished at Clevedon. Photo on left shows train arriving from Portishead headed by Loco No. 5. Photo on right is taken in same direction showing the loco sheds and workshops and a tight 130ft radius loop line just beyond connecting with the GWR branch (see Maps). In the distance, the main line runs on towards Portishead running through the streets of Clevedon across the Triangle, crossing Parnell Road, then following the route of the current Teignmouth Road. See detail map and Then & now. Just past Parnell Road crossing, there were goods sidings and a junction with the Gas Works siding. Click photos to enlarge

Clevedon Station

Clevedon sheds

May 1937 - train approaching from Portishead

Photo above reproduced with permission from The Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway by Peter Strange published by Twelveheads Press


Clevedon engine sheds

Photo above reproduced with permission from Weston-super-Mare Library


Simon Bowditch drawing


Image on left is a pen and ink drawing by Simon Bowditch GRA showing Clevedon engine sheds viewed from the platform. Seen left to right is No 2 Portishead Terrier, Manning Wardle No 5, No 1 Clevedon and Hesperus. Click the image for more details.


This print can be bought at WC&P Railway Group meetings or events. This and many other high quality prints can be bought from Simon’s website ( this drawing is 002/1) - www.simonbowditchillustrations.co.uk

© Simon Bowditch