Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway Home

Copyright © 2004-2015

Paul Gregory  


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Share on Google Bookmarks

Weston Ashcombe Road station

Distance from Portishead 13.8 miles


This was the terminus station for Weston and was situated at the junction of Ashcombe Road and Milton Road. The booking office in photo on left is where a florists now stands. The house in photo on right was owned by the railway, and upstairs was the home of the Traffic Manager. A footpath between the florists and house now runs along the route of the track through the station. The original platform was wooden and only 10 inches high until raised in 1919. There were also toilets and waiting room, and a water tower. Originally the railway was to continue along Gerard Road and The Boulevard as a street tramway. This track was actually laid but removed before the railway opened after a dispute with the council. See detail map. The houses in Milton Road were mostly built after the station. In the early years of the railway’s life, fields lay to the south of the line. See also Then & Now, The Line Today and Andrew Ullyott’s WC&PR model railway. The WC&P Railway Group installed an interpretation board and ‘Colonel Stephens Way’ signage at the Ashcombe Road site in Dec 2011.   See The Line Today - Southern section.

            

Ashcombe Road station Ashcombe Road station

Sept 1941 - after closure - taken from buffer stop            1898 - Station is to left of building

Photo reproduced with permission from The Weston,

Clevedon & Portishead Railway by Peter Strange

published by Twelveheads Press


Train leaving Ashcombe Road Signal at Ashcombe Road


Train leaving Weston - Ashcombe Road - headed by Terrier No 4 - note the fields in the foreground.

Track layout and signal - at end of platform looking towards Clevedon

The two photos above reproduced with permission from Weston-super-Mare Library