Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway Home

Copyright © 2004-2017

Paul Gregory  


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Share on Google Bookmarks

Clevedon All Saints halt Distance from Weston : 8.8 miles   


The halt was next to the junction of All Saints Lane with the main Portishead Road and the line crossed both roads in a complex four gate crossing. All Saints Lane had a gate at each side of the crossing (visible in photo). The short stretch of track bed in the photo is now a footpath. Beyond, the railway crossed the main Portishead Road at a very shallow angle having two widely separated single gates. See detail map. Both crossings were operated by the local blacksmith. The halt was opened in Oct 1917. Beyond the halt, the line ascended a 1 in 68 gradient to Walton Park halt. See also Then and now and The line today. An article on this crossing appears in the Colonel Stephens Society’s journal, The Colonel, issue 85, written by Howard Carey who remembers it in 1935.


Clevedon all Saints halt



1937 - looking towards Portishead

Photo reproduced with permission from Branch Lines to Clevedon & Portishead by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith published by Middleton Press